13 October to 12 November
Kartik (Damodar)…The Holiest Month…
Kartik (Damodar) is the best, the purest of purifiers, and most glorious of all months. Kartik month is particularly dear to Lord Sri Krishna. This month is full of bhakta vatsalya. Any vrata, even the smallest, will yield huge results. The effect of performing a Kartik Vrata lasts for one hundred lifetimes, Kartik or the festival of offering lamps to Lord Krishna, glorifies Lord Krishna’s pastime of being bound with ropes by Mother Yashoda.
Excerpts from some scriptures (Puranas) describing the glory of the pious Kartik month:
“If somebody performs even a little worship of Lord Shri Hari in this month, He offers that devotee His own abode.”
“A person who offers a lamp to Lord Damodara during Kartika attains the eternal spiritual world where there is no suffering.”
“If somebody burns a lamp in the temple of Lord Shri Hari even for a short time (in the month of Kartik), then whatever sins, he has acquired for millions of kalpas (one kalpa equals 1000 yugas) are all destroyed.”
“A person, who for the entire month of Kartik eats only once a day, becomes very famous, powerful and heroic.”
“A person who happily reads the Bhagavad Gita in the month of Kartik does not return to the world of birth and death.”
“No sins exist anywhere in the three worlds that will not be purified by offering a lamp to Lord Keshava during Kartika.”
“Of all gifts, the gift of a lamp during the month of Kartik is the best. No gift is its equal.”
“The pious result obtained by bathing in all holy places and giving all charities is not equal to one ten-millionth part of the result obtained by following the vow of Kartik.”
Take vows in the Kartik :
1. Daily offer a ghee lamp to Krishna and sing the Damodarastakam, meditating on meaning.
2. Attend Mangal Aarti, perform Guru puja and Tulasi puja.
3. Read scriptures ( Srimad Bhagavatam, Bhagavad Geeta,Updeshamrita).
4. Daily offer lamp to Tulsi devi and pray for eternal residence in Vrndavana and eternal service of the lotus feet of Radha and Krishna. Do 4 parikrama (circumbulation) of Tulasi.
5. One should always remember Supreme Lord Hari. Devotees should try to do more Harinam Chanting. Do extra rounds and more kirtana.
6. Eat only prasadam.
7. Practice brahmacharya – celibacy.
8. Cold water bath, sleeping on floor, eating one time a day.
9. Reach out to maximum new people and have them offer lamp to Damodar bhagvaan.
10. It is most beneficial to recite and read Gajendra Moksha Lila-stava from 8th canto of Srimad Bhagavatam, which teaches complete surrender/dependence of Supreme Lord.
Get new people to take simple vows
Chant HARE KRISHNA Mahamantra.
Read Bhagvad Geeta.
Recite Damodar Ashtakam.
Attend temple programs.
Always think of the Lotus Feet of Lord Krishna and you will find no difficulties in executing the tasks allotted to you by Krishna.
The holy name of Krishna has extraordinary spiritual potency because the name of God is non different from God Himself
Chant these names with love and you will feel the ecstasy:
Hare Krishna, Hare Krishna, Krishna Krishna, Hare Hare
Hare Rama, Hare Rama, Rama Rama, Hare Hare …
हरे कृष्ण हरे कृष्ण कृष्ण कृष्ण हरे हरे || हरे राम हरे राम राम राम हरे हरे||